Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 2

Well, it was an 11 hour day today (9am to 8pm) but it was worth it. Poor T got a total of 30min sleep the entire day during the workers' lunch break but she's a trooper and tomorrow we'll be at a friend's house so hopefully she will get her full 4 hours (we just switched to 1 long nap a day. She's growing up on us!). There were no big surprises which was a relief since you never know what will be uncovered when you open up the walls of a 70 year old house. The worst we found yesterday were some rat droppings under the cabinets. I'm just thankful they didn't find a rat.

The day began with taking out the kitchen door and walling it off. One of the most dysfunctional things about our 11 x 12 kitchen was that there was a doorway on each of it's 4 short walls. That made it impossible to get any span of counter space. By walling off just one of those doors we will be able to incorporate many more cabinets which = more counter space. Now if I could just decide on some countertops....


No more doorway:)


T and I ran out for lunch and to pick up our new sink from Overstock Kitchen and Bath in Kennesaw. When we returned they has installed the new window. I was hoping it would let in tons more light which it doesn't really do but I think we will enjoy looking out the large center window while standing at the sink as opposed to the wide piece of trim that was in the center of the old window. Might not seem like a big deal but it drove me crazy.

Window Before


New Window


Later in the afternoon they blew out the opening that was the dining room window to the deck to make room for new 5 feet wide french doors. It makes quite a difference! The bigger doors let in much more light which makes me happy.



Oh, and did I mention they removed much of the vinyl siding on that back wall and we saw the original wood siding? It is so much prettier than the vinyl even in it's sad state. The siding is a different project for a different day but I sure wish previous owners hadn't dealt with it in that way. Oh well

Close up of old siding:(


Before


After



Around 7:30 they took apart our old pantry door so they could move it to the left a foot. This will allow us to add lots of new shelving to the right side of the opening and will make it easier to access the shelving underneath the stairs. Jeff who is building our cabinets will build new, more functional shelving in the pantry later on.


Also, they added a knee wall that there will be cabinets on



Phew, that was a lot! I will be gone all day tomorrow so hopefully I'll update Thursday night. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Libby Moise said...

This is going to be so nice! I'm so excited for you guys!!